Was reading this fascinating article about 8 “crazy”.. Mega-Engineering Projects We Could Use to Rework the Earth.. , and thought.. 1. This is a good opportunity to keep this blog alive.. 2. Should I miss this golden opportunity to provoke / annoy.. my leftist / green / down-wing friends.., – hell no..
Don’t get me wrong: I am (partly) a socalled down-winger myself, – (although predominantly an up-winger), – and you’d be a fool if you think I’m merely out to offend..
I wrote about the up-wing / down-wing political compass here , but let’s recapitulate:
DownWingers, according to social epistemologist Steve Fuller :
- look to the earth.., and..
- want to curb human aspirations to fit within what nature, in its Earthbound form, can reasonably be expected to sustain..
Some additional points, credit to Fogbanking :
- believe Human nature is limited and chaos should be avoided..
- anticipate futures of reduced energy consumption..
- tend towards localization/resilience thought..
- tend to follow the Left’s view of communitarianism and the Right’s sense of natural order..
UpWingers, in contrast, according to Fuller:
- aspire to the skies.., and..
- generally believe in grand “technological fixes” / “solutionism”.. for the world’s problems..
Additional points by “Fogbanking”:
- believe Human potential is unlimited and chaos can be tamed..
- anticipate futures of greater energy consumption…
- tend to follow the [American Right’s] libertarian view of freedom, and the Left’s view of transcendent humanity..
With this outline in mind, let’s take a look at a couple of those crazy / fascinating, according to taste, Mega-Engineering Projects , – but.. be warned, gutmenschen, conspiracy theorists, foot-dragging conservationists, climate-change religionists, cultural pessimists, etc., – you’re in for an extropian, post-Darwinian ride..
(1) Global Weather Control
(2) Terraforming the World’s Largest Deserts
Approximately one-third of Earth’s land surface is a desert.. – Imagine then, for instance, pumping desalinated seawater from the coast to the Sahara Desert and Australian Outback, creating, instead, lush forests and making vast regions of land fertile and habitable, besides, potentially ending global warming..
(7) Eliminating Predation (!!)
Such is the dream of British futurist David Pearce, – who so happens to be my favourite transhumanist philosopher, – and who imagines a future in which animals are liberated from the never-ending cycle of Darwinian processes and its attendant pain and suffering..
Other projects: (3) Creating Artificial Islands ; (4) Creating a New Continent ; (5) Eliminating Vast Swaths of Land ; (6) Assisted Species Migration ; (8) Mass Carbon Capture..